The creative writing team at History.Com has some fun facts about America’s Favorite Holiday coming up this weekend. Here are some interesting facts:
- The oldest signer was Benjamin Franklin at 70 years old and the youngest was Edward Rutledge at 26 years old.
- In 1781, Massachusetts became the first state to make July 4th a state holiday.
- Congress declared Independence Day a federal legal holiday in 1941.
- 1/3 of all hot dogs produced in the U.S.A. come from Iowa.
- More than 14,000 Fourth of July fireworks displays explode across the nation each year.
- 76% of people get together with family during Fourth of July.
We hope you enjoy your Independence Day, remembering the history of this special day, celebrating with your loved ones and watching a sky light up with fireworks. Happy Fourth of July to all!